Monday, March 5, 2012

Thank you, you are neat!

I finished a major part of my Master's requirement today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even know what to say about it. I've experienced every major emotion under the sun in the past four weeks, from joy to anger to sorrow to frustration... a LOT of frustration... and then back to joy. And finally peace.

In the words of those immortal Englishmen, "I got by with a little help from my friends." I'm talking actual friends, FYI, not narcotics (although that was a suggestion thrown out there by one of my fellow classmates last Friday at a late night paper exchange).

Seriously, I have a lot of people in mind to thank who have reached out to me over the last few weeks of daily writing. I want to record their names for posterity (I do hope this blog somehow makes it down to my posterity. Has anyone else worried about that? I've actually written in my journal once or twice, "See blog from today." Come on, Google Blogger. Be as eternal as you currently cause me to believe you'll be). I digress.


Bosses Kelly and Josh,  Jess (1,000 times Jess! No one can make me laugh at myself and stop worrying like you!), my Dani, Marissa, Bebe Cobb, Liz, Ellen, Lauren, Oliver, Tyler, Paul, Wayne, Ray, Ashley C., my amazing roomies Kathryn and Kelly (Kelly even composed a "That Thesis is Over!" ballad for me tonight. What a star!), M.C., Maggie, Michelle, Jillian, Spence, Mom, Dad, Wee, Marcus, Katie, Sarah, Bree, Mike, Caitlin, Melanie, Kristin, Aaron, Shaunna, Jayci, Christine, and last but not least, Professors Martinez, Obler, and Bjelajac. Couldn't have done it with out you. Oh and the pizza guy, arriving with manna from heaven (via a very sweet mom) on Saturday. 

Oh and Heavenly Father. So many times during this process, I was humbled and then enervated as I remembered what a rare blessing this is, to be able to study what I love and earn a Master's degree. I know that there are millions upon billions of people in history (particularly women) who did not have the opportunity, financial means, ability, or freedom to learn whatever they wished. I proudly work to honor my mom, grandma, great-grandmothers, and the many strangers out there who would if they could... and maybe, hopefully, probably, will! Someday!

And now... it's time to go get that glorious Serendipity Sundae I've been visualizing for the past month... PARTY TIME!

And, because you all wanted to taste a little bit of the magic, here's a sliver of what I've been writing about:



At sunset on March 2, 1896, the bloody two-day battle on the plains of Adwa, Ethiopia drew to a close. The war between the Ethiopian people, led by King Menelik II, and the invading colonial forces of Italy ended in a decisive victory for the Ethiopians. The victory was a watershed event for Ethiopia, finalizing the country’s claim of independence from European domination. Ethiopia’s successful fight for freedom was also paradigmatic for advocates of black autonomy throughout the world. Across Europe, North America, and the African diaspora, curiosity peaked about this stately warrior King Menelik who had successfully resisted a colonial takeover.
As Menelik biographer Harold Marcus explains, “The Ethiopian victory over Italian imperialism at Adwa … forced Europeans to reconsider their prejudices about at least one group of Blacks.” The racist preconceptions about African men in nineteenth-century Western culture spanned a wide and galling array of stereotypes, from the condescending idea of the noble savage to the common pejorative characterizations of Africans as ignorant, dark, godless, childish, vicious, and/or foolish.The notion of an African king with a military presence and a right to rule as strong as a European monarch’s was the stuff of legend, dating back to stories of Prester John, a legendary white king, who originated in 12th century literature as a wished-for ally in the Crusades. Prester John had no living counterpart in nineteenth-century world leadership, at least not until King Menelik and his seasoned troops made their presence known worldwide in March of 1896 at Adwa. 

6 comments:

Marissa said...

I LOVE YOU! I'M SOO SOO SOO PROUD OF YOU! CONGRATS!!!

MOM said...

Oh my sweet girl. So very good. Congratulations on a great achievement! Your paper was excellent...I'm so proud of you. :) Have a happy celebration! Wish I could sit and share in the sundae feast!

M.C. Sommers said...

And thank you for being so inspirational for the rest of us!

This is so exciting. I wish I could be there in person to celebrate with you. Will you have a link or something to your thesis so we can read it? I'm a total nerd and love reading them. Plus this little excerpt has me hooked!

Maggie said...

Lindsey I am so proud of you!!!! You are so brilliant and are doing justice to an area of art history that is under-represented. Your contribution is very important. You worked so hard and deserve to take a breather! Sleep baby sleep. Eat lots of chocolate and cookies.

ynny said...

I have a whole box of Thin Mints ready and waiting :) M.C., you sweet friend and insatiable reader you- I'll happily email you a copy!

jbroclayto said...

Yeah yeah yeah! Let's read selections of your masterpiece from random boulders in central park, k? Can't believe its over!!