Sunday, March 11, 2012

Fiction Flashback

My friend Aaron recently reminisced about his two favorite books as a child (Hatchet and the Island of the Blue Dolphins), and I absolutely HAD to chime in!

"Because when you read a book as a child it becomes part of your identity in a way that no other book can!" -Meg Ryan. I hope you know what movie I'm quoting!

My first indispensable book as a wee little one was Ferdinand the Bull.


According to my mom, I had that book memorized and would correct her if she got the words wrong or sleepily skipped parts :) Don't mess with my Ferdinand! I absolutely adored the illustrations: simple, whimsical, black and white pen pictures, and the story is enchanting. A little bull who loves to smell flowers sits on a bee, gets stung, gets spotted by matadors, and is taken to the big bull fight. But instead of being fierce and prideful, he just wanted to smell the flowers pinned in the hair of the pretty senioritas. I think my love of this story is evidence that even three-year-old me loved beauty and the finer things in life.

Disney made a cartoon version that mimics the elegant illustrations in the book, enjoy:




Come grade school and, you know, the ability to read, I transferred the title of "Favorite Book" to Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry. A young Danish girl learns what bravery and right and wrong truly are as she watches her family hide her Jewish school friend from the Nazis in the early years of WWII. She then has to implement these virtues herself in order to smuggle her friend out of the country. I think this favorite of mine is indicative of my intense future love for researching the sweet stories of humanity that sit waiting for recognition amongst the pages history.

I have probably twenty more favorite books, but these two are my two childhood favorites. What are yours? Or, which books have you found that most influenced who you are today?

(Because it's fun to keep thinking back):
My Pre-adolescent fav: The Baby-Sitter's Club series.
My Teenage fav: Anne of Green Gables-Anne of the Island.
College favs are numerous but include Franny and Zooey, by J. D. Salinger, Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky, and my perennial favorite, the book I read every year, Jane Eyre.

3 comments:

Aaron S said...

I love so much about this post. Glad I could inspire you to share your favorite books from different life periods, and those are some great selections!

Lauren Kay said...

Number the Stars is on my childhood list for sure. Others on my list: Walk Two Moons, Catherine Called Birdie, and Ella Enchanted. I'd put Jane Eyre and probably Anne of the Island on my list too (best Anne book because she and Gilbert finally get together and it's before they get all super cheesy). And I also would probably stick In Cold Blood on there. I could not get that out of my head for a year. I could keep listing books, I will stop. But fun post. Fun video, I loved Ferdinand when I was little.

MOM said...

Lindsey, you quoted "Mickey and the Beanstalk" at a ridiculously young age too. I was never much of a reader, but I can say that "The Secret Garden", I felt, was my first "real" book...an actual novel! But mostly I loved books with great pictures. Go figure. I'd draw them and see how good I could get it to look like the picture. Disney was of course my favorite to replicate. :)

I didn't know you read Jane Eyre every year. I read it when I was with the two little girls on their clogging trip in Hawaii. I LOVED it and couldn't put it down.

PS- The movie quote? Why, Miss Kathleen Kelly to Mr. Joe Fox in "The Shop Around the Corner" in the movie YOU'VE GOT MAIL! ha ha!