Thursday, February 23, 2012

Everything this man says is solid gold.

The Good Greatsby: my new favorite funny blog. Read him. Roll on floor laughing.

It's 11:23 pm and the right half of my brain won't stop clicking. Here is a random assortment of famous artworks that I find hilarious. Have you ever seen funny art? Did you even know you can laugh at art?? Oh yea! People only seem to remember that in modern art galleries, when faced with Louise Bourgeois sculptures (at right. tee hee). Apparently Impressionism tickles my funny bone the most: the great Mary Cassatt AND Odilon Redon made my list. Who's on yours?

Odilon Redon. The Cyclops. 1914.
Mostly I love that it's by an artist named Odilon. And it's creeptastic.

Ben Shahn. Still Music. 1948. The Phillips Collection. 
Flamingoesque music stands. Painted over what looks like an Easter egg background. 

Mary Cassatt. Little Girl in a Blue Chair. 1878. NGA.

Sit up right now or I will MAKE you sit up!!!
No but seriously, this one's a compositional masterpiece if you look at it long enough. Brilliant balance of space.

Auguste Rodin. Monument to Balzac. 1891-1898. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

Judith Shea. Post-Balzac. 1991. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

Rodin's Monument to Balzac is already one ridiculous piece of honorary sculpture (at its creation people called it "the Frog," "Balzac in his pajamas," etc.). 100 years later the artist Judith Shea monumentalized Rodin's ridiculousness by creating a bronze of just Balzac's coat, since after all, it basically OWNS the lion's share of the viewer's attention in the original.

Look it's me, back when I was a little bitty intern! Yes my coat is simultaneously voluminous AND shapeless. But so warm! I was going for a wry grin in this picture. Just lettin' you know...


4 comments:

M.C. Sommers said...

I loved that blog. I'll have to add it to my list. I'm always looking for another blog to make me laugh.

I'm glad to know that artists have a sense of humor, too. I sometimes see art and think it's funny but don't know if it is rude to think that.

I hope your paper is coming along swimmingly! You've definitely been in my thoughts. I know how incredibly stressful those things are!

Aaron S said...

That blog is hilarious! Thanks for the share!

I especially like that 'Still Music' piece. Very simplistic yet well-ordered. Also, it kinda reminds me of a Charlie Brown comic. Not sure why, it just does.

Aw, such a cute young intern in your puffy coat!

MOM said...

Hahahhh...you resurrected your "brown popsicle" picture. Still makes me smile.

Loved the printer episode with Good Greatsby. :)

And the fun pics, but mostly I love the words you make up...like creeptastic!

PS- You're still my hero.

The Good Greatsby said...

I love The Good Greatsby; he's the best! Everybody should read his blog.