Sunday, September 18, 2011

In Search Of: Healthy Snacks

So, I told yall a few weeks ago about this summer's re-evaluation of my fitness goals, and I am proud to say I have had a fantastic fall thus far- I'm one month into the most epic (and so do-able) half-marathon training program, and I have really made an effort eat good things- like, I keep trying to eat so many carrots that I don't have room for the bad tasty stuff like sodium-encrusted wheat thins and ice cream. Feeling pretty good- no, scratch that,


Feeling FANTASTIC!

So good, I might have bought myself a little red dress from Calvin Klein (via Marshall's- $50 for a $230 dress, yeehaw!) to reward myself. I've always wanted a va-va-voom red dress. :) It's now hanging in my closet where I can see it. It keeps me motivated to keep running (Gotta EARN it!)

My biggest set back, that keeps threatening all my progress, is snacking. Dang it, I get HUNGRY at 10:30 am and 3 pm... and 4 pm and 8 pm! So I've been looking for healthy snack ideas.

This one's pretty good. -> (4 hard boiled egg whites plus 1/4th an avocado plus pepper on toast)
















So's this one. ->
(1/2 a sweet potato, baked, mixed with a lil non-sweetened applesauce and walnuts)














And I've eaten this super fast Pesto chicken salad 3 times this week. ->











But I need more! Any suggestions?? These need to be FILLING snacks. I can eat like a man.

In other news, our ward went on a camping retreat all weekend and it was AMAZING! So many fun things to do, and I feel like we all really got a chance to meet new people and strengthen friendships with... well, not OLD people, but you know what I mean. I finally went to Gettysburg and toured the museum there, which all the nerds in my museum circles keep rhapsodizing about. My verdict: it was SO worth the money! The exhibit and the cyclorama were FANTASTIC!!!! So well done. I was geeking out to my friends the whole time, and they were nice enough to feign interest in 19th century theories of optics and visual culture for my sake.

At the end of the movie they show that teaches you all about the battle, the narrator (Morgan Freeman, aka The Voice of God in my imagination), gives the most poignant thought: "And now we too are met on this battlefield." or something like that... basically the thought was, the racism and division that were the root cause of the horrific bloodshed over a hundred years ago continues today in its own way. How will you fight for the cause? Will you?

Pretty touching.


PS-- GIRLS ONLY--Read this on one of my fitness blogs and pretty much felt an AMEN:


During a Period

  • Uterus: I hope you didn't like your underwear.
  • Stomach: EAT ALL THE THINGS!
  • Emotions: I don't care that you were crying your eyes out ten minutes ago, that was freaking funny! Now go act like you're high until I see something that pisses me off.
  • Stomach: ESPECIALLY THE CHOCOLATY THINGS!
  • Uterus: Also I've decided to act like something's constantly punching me. I hope you don't mind.
  • Thighs: I'm just gonna go ahead and feel like I'm made of lead, cool?
  • Body: Oh all your clothes are going to look like crap and probably not fit.
  • Me: Why??????

4 comments:

M.C. Sommers said...

I told you I was going to comment. ;)

You are amazing. I agree with you on the snacking. I'm good on meals, but 3:00 every day I find myself searching for oreos. Thanks for the good ideas!

MOM said...

Okay, where did you get those glorious sweet curves? Not from this mom; I'm a regular tree trunk...almost no hips at all. Anyway, you look stunning my love.

Marcus Christensen said...

HELLLOOOOOO NURSE!!! Linds is looking good! Definitely my relative, bahaha

jbroclayto said...

Love that dress! Hot mama!