Sunday, September 11, 2011

Back to the Future... for Parkinson's Disease!

This week shoe fans everywhere have been buzzing as the following clip was released (directed by Robert Zemekis himself and starring Christopher Lloyd and Kevin Durant!). The rumors have been circulating about the futuristic Nike shoes once worn by Marty McFly in Back to the Future II, known til now as "The Greatest Shoes Never Made," and they have all proven to be true! The shoes are real! The future is now! Named the Nike MAGs, only 1500 have been created, and they are going up for auction over the next ten days, 150 pairs per day, to benefit the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.



Here's the auction, live from eBay. If I were $3,000 richer... I'd own those babies. Best of luck and thank you to everyone of those blessed shoeholics who bids for them.

My mom was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease in 2005. It's hard to believe it's been six years. Six years of holding mom's hand and teasing her when her "momometer" goes off. She's doing great, in case you're all wondering. She even picked up a design commission this week (she's a painter)! I love you, mom. I'm proud of everything you do, for yourself, for your students, and for your family.

It's Septemeber 11th, I'm well aware of that. I don't feel like recounting where I was when I heard or what my day was like ten years ago. That seems too self-oriented. It was a national event, an international tragedy. Yes, it changed my life too. But today, I chose to render my moment of silence next to the Pentagon, and to listen to words of remembrance, mourning, and fortitude from the mouths of our leaders and our plain and simple countrymen at Ground Zero early this morning. I choose to remember those whose lives were monumentally, tragically changed by the 9/11 attacks, and then I chose in the next moment, this moment, to celebrate the loved ones in my great life, and by so doing, express my thanks for the freedom, love, and blessings I have been given. I love my country, and I love the people in it. Here's praying for a renewed outpouring of unity, courage, faith, and love amongst my countrymen on this historic day.

And happy birthday, beautiful Maggie Leak! If you know Maggie or if you appreciate inspiring, intelligent, empathetic and funny people, hop on over to her blog and wish her a happy birthday, too!!!!!!

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Love that the editor's name is Biff... Love all of this. Who wants a marathon of all of the movies?

jbroclayto said...

I'm stealing this and putting it on my blog...right now. :)