Monday, September 5, 2011

Lake Days... the most wonderful time of the year!

Three day weekends mean one thing to us East Coasters: LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

And this Labor Day weekend was no exception. This year's festivities took place at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland, where they filmed What Lies Beneath. In my younger, scared-ier days, this random piece of trivia would have defeated me. I would have stayed in rainy DC with my homework and my netflix rather than risk showering in a haunted bathtub.

But that was old me. New me is braver. And new me knew Deep Creek Lake comes with access to a ski boat. Again, let the good times roll!!!!!!

Welcome to Rivendell! 14 friends and I rented it for the weekend. It had doorknobs in the middle of its doors, hence the name. On the left is the home of our passive aggressive neighbors who I'm pretty sure woke their rambunctious kids up at 6:30 am just to annoy us.


The View From Rivendell. Bottom Left corner is our dock and friends taking it all in.


Saturday morning we awoke to a beautiful but freaky golden mist that covered the whole lake AND the sun! No one got a pic of it, but it reminded me of this J. M. W. Turner nautical painting so I'm putting it up. You get the idea!

10:30 am Saturday: Mist gone, people anxiously wait as Ryan and I fetch the rented ski boat. Ps all my pics have been stolen from Spencer's camera. Many thanks for documenting the trip, boo!

Turns out, only Ryan, our house "dad," and myself know how to drive boats. This is the start of my very long but very rewarding stint channeling Uncle Gene, Lake Mead Ski Captain extraordinaire! :)

So, East Coast lakes are SKETCHY! They don't enforce flag laws. With the heavy lake traffic roughing up the waters and being the safety Nazi that I am, I enlisted Nick to alert other boaters when we had a downed skiier. No injuries were sustained. Way to be, Team-Nick-and-life-vest!

I think I might be whistling in this pic.

At one point it was me and 7 first-time wakeboarders aboard. Everybody got up, though- I'm so proud of my crew!!!
Steph was a trooper- popped up smiling even after a faceplant!

Eric got up on his first try. It's cuz it was his birthday.
 
Cheesy lake grin. I wub boating sooooooo much! And it was SUCH a beautiful day to be out there!

Oh, except at one point the engine wasn't turning over and we had to get towed back to the marina and swap out boats. I learned I have a lot to learn when it comes to negotiating a discount with boat rental coordinators (aka pirates!)

And after a sweet sweet 8 hours on the sunny, perfect lake,  we retired to Rivendell for an epic massage train and watched BYU clinch its season opener v. Ole Miss!!! 

After that we celebrated Eric's bday at the Santa Fe Grill, where we met Elder Gerard, an area authority who saw our BYU shirts and wanted to celebrate with us. He sprang for all 15 of our meals!!! I love kind people! What a treat!

Eric and his ladies

Birthday boy eats REALLY slow.

Hoover and I ride the bear. <3

Awwwwww yea. How every singles weekend should end. There may have also been a midnight skinny dip off the dock...


3 comments:

M.C. Sommers said...

Why are there no skinny dipping pics? :)

Looks like such a fun trip! Go you, little miss boat driver!

jbroclayto said...

Soooooo fun!!!!

Erin said...

Linds, that trip looks so great and so fun, but weirdly enough, the thing I liked best--seeing your grey dress. I just know it so well.