Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Official Apology to Indie Kids/Hipsters

After taking 24 hours to cool off, and realizing with a sheepish inner grin than I myself own pairs of skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors... and also remembering that I occasionally admire my friends' trendy, otherworldly (and overpriced) Polaroid art projects, I'm hereby issuing an apology to those who find themselves drawn to this particular style known as Indie and/or Hispter. Guys, it's not really you I was hating on last post, I swear. It's the America-wide plague of materialism, which you in particular fall prey to (forgive me). And... not to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist record, but this society-ruining materialism is, in my opinion, brought about by a swarm of suave marketing professionals, aka the bane of my existence. Example: Urban Outfitter's online fall collection slogan is: "Then Again: New Urban Renewal." What the *&%$ does that even MEAN??? I feel dumber for having read it! And I hate knowing that whoever buys things from that collection will have added to the second Beamer fund of whatever marketing guru wrote it. Gah. Ok, step away from the soapbox, Lindsey.

I hereby promise that (500) Days of Summer is not an awful movie-- quite quaint actually, and it realistically depicts the type of relationships my generation likes to have (sadly enough). But I have to wonder, would the two characters have fallen in love if they DIDN'T have a huge load of materialistic props to worship or scorn together? Seriously. They fell in love over an iTunes song issuing forth out of oversized headphones like the kind you see in every Target/AE/AX photo spread. Summer and whatever-his-name-was really hit it off as they go on a date simply walking around mocking the domestic interiors of Ikea for a whole 5 screen minutes. They later discover that they have relationship problems (gasp!) thanks to their differing reactions to a Ringo Starr vinyl record. Finally, they each realized their individual destinies thanks to some shockingly coffee-table-esque books on architecture?? Really??

Sigh. I'm going to go back to reading this week's book, Little Women.

PS this has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but I wrote down the following quote from last week's book, The Robe (AWESOME!), and I really wanted to share it. Marcellus, a Roman Tribune learning slowly about Jesus after taking part in his crucifixion, says the following while contemplating the new underground Christian movement:

"'This faith,' he declared deliberately, 'is not like a deed to a house in which one may live with full right of possession. It is more like a kit of tools with which a man may build a house. The tools will be worth just what he does with them. When he lays them down, they will have no value until he has taken them up again.'"

Beautiful, no?

9 comments:

MOM said...

Beautiful, yes. I just had a hard time switching gears that fast! Ease us darling!

Jayci said...

Marketers do have a tricky tricky, unpleasant job because of how they skew the publics opinion to all like the same thing. But yes, sometimes i like it too. :) It makes me feel good that you confessed as well. I like movies that depict relationships of substance... but a cute/light movie like the one you described sounds superficially fun. We'll see.. I'll still probably wait for the rental cause I trust you. :) Enjoy Little Women!

and yes. Beautiful quote!

Jayci said...

oh. and i have to confess... mark's brother and sister in law are a big follower of these fads... or what they think are timeless tributes to fashion and lifestyle... if I can predict what they are going to do, is it really timeless living? or just fantastical trend following??? At moments I wish I could adapt some of their stylish cues, but for the most part it just drives me inSANE. Okay... thanks for letting me rant and rave. I feel lighter. :oP Haha! surprise... Jayci has a temper!! If you want to spy on their cute blog, the link is on the bottom right of my blog screen. Tory and Mo is their name. go spy. go on. :P

Joanna Goddard said...

this is a really smart review of the movie -- i love it. i thought the movie was really entertaining, but soooo derivative -- like, the dance sequence was straight out of Enchanted; the flashbacks to their quirky childhoods with a male voice narrating it was just like Wes Anderson. so i got sort of frustrated by that. anyway, thank you for the great review. your blog is really smart and fun :) joannaxo

rachel said...

I totally agree with you Lindsey and it is a smart review. I was still entertained in the movie even if the dance sequence was just like "enchanted".

Judy Anne said...

I have not seen the movie, but I have read little women and the robe. I applaud you choice of books and your abhorance of the materialistic world. Way to go Lindsey

Ld said...

"Get money!"

Maks said...

I'm following your blog,as of...NOW. It's funny and I like it a lot.
=]

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Brown. In a few short years after being published, the Robe had one and one half million copies distributed. And now some 60 years later that has climbed to six million. I have not read the book but have seen the movie. I understand it was twenty years in the making of the book.
Another book about Christ and the myriad of writers about him, in it, passed the 100 million publishing mark recently. It amazes me. It was translated in 65 working days. How marvelous. It is non fictional.