Sunday, August 23, 2009

In case you didn't know...



I love this place. It's my home away from home... in more sense than one. The hope of seeing all of the rooms in it, of being sealed there to someone I love, and being nearer to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in there, is why I do what I do. Why I believe what I believe. And basically, why I am who I am. Just in case you didn't know.

I found myself on the phone with a friend at 2 am this week, fighting a pitched battle about religion. I kept thinking, "He's not getting the whole picture! What can I possibly say more to help him understand why I choose to be Mormon (cuz heaven, he, and I all know it ain't easy). And then, the image of this temple came into my head. Along with it, the sweet memory of joy I felt outside another temple in Draper, UT, watching my best friend Jessica emerge, newly married to her dear eternal boyfriend. And that's when I asked my friend if he'd ever been to one of my temples. "No," came the answer. "Just go," was my reply. I am not very suave, like my brilliant returned missionary friends, and my kindly-and-powerfully-spoken leaders. I didn't have the scripture-based facts to prove him wrong in all the little nit-picks he was throwing my way. But when I thought about the temple, I remembered; that place is where God is. I have the Holy Ghost, and he tells me that in ways I can understand, and that this friend of mine will hopefully understand, that That place is where we feel his love, and where we get connected to families and all of humanity forever. That place helps my soul be still and free and happy. I hope he goes there. I hope he can feel the way I feel when I look at it. That place.... is just beautiful. I feel nothing but gratitude towards my Heavenly Father and my Savior when I think about the fact that he placed those buildings here on earth. Life is good, when you have the temple in your sights. That's all I really wanted to say tonight. K bye.


4 comments:

Jenni said...

Well said. I appreciate our shared aspirations. Keep your heart there, Lynz :)

MOM said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and testimony Lindsey. I look forward to going to the temple with you. All in good time, eh? In the meantime, keeping it in your sight is a great plan. Love you, MOM

Jayci said...

temples are the most wonderful places on this earth. even disneyland can't compare. :) i love your sweet testimony. your example speaks volumes about why you chose to be a mormon. if your friend goes to the temple, i hope he sees your example made manifest in the feelings he feels there. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Judy Anne said...

I love to see the temple, I'm going there someday!! Peace is there.