Friday, March 11, 2011

End of Day 2. Good Lord this is hard.

So, I am giving up sugar for Lent, and it is ridiculous. I'm still true to my goal, but I've definitely nose-dived in other categories to make up for it. I'm going to be keeping track of this "journey" to sugar will-power though!! (haha... "journey." American Idol/Bachelor script writers' annoying go-to word).

Items that replaced Beloved Sugar with mild-to-moderate success today and yesterday:

1. EXCEDRIN*

2. Pita Chips. Bags at a time.
3. Water


* The fact that I have had a spine-to-skull headache for two days is really, really the reason (besides religion) why I am undertaking this fast. I can feel my addiction to sugar, the inability to withstand it, and it worries me. If you are a sporadic health-nut in America, like me, you no doubt have come across a health blog or magazine article in the last 3 years extolling the addictive and destructive qualities of white processed sugar (such an innocuous little monster...). Many experts now believe sugar is more hard to kick than cigarettes (it stays in your SPINE for two weeks before your cravings begins to wane!). As stewards of wonderful bodies, this fact should definitely disturb us. Yes, this is a mild soapbox issue with me, admittedly because it's something I'm trying to overcome. Sugar negatively affects our sleep patterns, attention span, ability to focus, and more obviously and most worrisomely (is that a word?), our metabolism and our ability to transition from different emotions or moods effectively.

I remember the last time I was off sugar. I NOTICED how less roller-coaster-y my emotions were. It was fantastic. Day 2- rough but going strong!

Sugar already appears in my diet in the guise of high-fructose corn syrup and the like, my goal is to just eliminate the obvious sweets that will give me a rush without a SHRED of nutritional value (and we all know that kind of sugar when we eat it. Candy, baked goods, sugar drinks, etc).

Besides Excedrin, today's Lindsey Life-Saver award goes to:


The apple. My body couldn't handle no sugar, so this is what I stuffed it with. Day 2 complete, stay tuned to hear what challenges lie ahead in Day 3 of the Sugar Sabbatical 2011, including a visit to the bakery with a new Birthday Cupcake potentially free for me to sample if I so desire. Dun-dun DUN!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Linds - you can so do this. I went without sugar from V-day to Memorial weekend last year and it was hard for the first 2 or 3 weeks then it got so much better! I had more energy, lost my constant nagging headaches, lost a size, and felt more motivated to make healthy decisions.

I'm doing it again this year and it has been a breeze. No cravings at all really. And I secretly want to go a whole year this time.

p.s. I'm not eating meat either. crazy I know. But I'm loving it. You can do this!

Marissa said...

You are this close to persuading me to give up sugar for Lent too. I was also contemplating the idea of giving up soda - Dr. Pepper to be more specific. I'll keep you posted.

Also, I love you! You can do it :)

Marcus said...

Also I love you.

Olsen Family said...

You are amazing as always! Think about the engine that could!