Monday, September 13, 2010

A thankful shade of yellow, if there is such a thing...

... It's just been a nice weekend. A wonderful Sunday, rounding out an extremely pleasant week. This image has popped into my head repeatedly as the perfect illustration of my feelings:

Bovine and Beautiful. Nah, just kidding, that's not its title. The Yellow Cow, by Franz Marc. 1911.
This is the image that finally won the blank spot on my wall in my new fancy IKEA frame. I just love it. Uplifting, bold and blocky, a very fascinating art historical pedigree, and it's just a wee bit FUNNY! I talked about this painting over a year ago if you'll recall. I think that post is my favorite thing I've ever written on here, actually. I feel like I just keep on learning that same lesson about the coin over and over again. And I keep on experiencing joy and fury and faith the same ways, too. And I still get wriggly joy when I consider the cow. She looks like I feel when I get dressed up or imagine something or talk to someone neat.

I have been making a conscious effort to thank Heavenly Father repeatedly throughout the day(s) for all the wonderful little things he has been sending my way. Strong legs that run far, hugs from handsome men, crisp but not cold breezes, parties with multitudes of friends, acrobats on F Street, incredible talks about the temple and covenants, Laney and her gross stories that made me and Mer laugh harder than we have in months, etc. I told Heavenly Father that I know these good times won't last forever; I remember only too well what it feels like to hit the proverbial wall and get frustrated and feel like no one's listening or no one cares. Those days are part of life. But it's weeks like this week that I take to heart and store for the poo days. Weeks like this week when I remember the Savior and I live without fear. And I have joy!

In the words of that immortal being Taylor Swift, today was a fairytale.

4 comments:

Judy Anne said...

I am glad you are 'finding the joy'. One of my favorite sayings is, "Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to!" I need to think more of the positive in my life, thanks for the reminder!

Erin said...

Linds, do you know how glad I am that you have a blog? And that I get to read it? And read about you, being excited about art? It hurts my heart I love it so much.

Michelle said...

I loved this post. And the one you mentioned in it. They were both posts that I needed to read.

MOM said...

I'm loving seeing your happy cow again! That'll be me in 5 days!