Friday, May 22, 2009

A break from precedence... Lindsey goes Cutesy.

For the sake of being well-rounded (because a certain original blogfriend of mine thinks I need to include some nice Mormon-girlish blog topics BESIDES art... sigh. :) I present a recipe I found for exceptional from-scratch whole-wheat bread. Yes, I made bread all by myself, yeast and everything. Now that I am without a tv, a personal computer, an iPod, AND Facebook (the first three not by choice), I spend a lot of time reading, experimenting with cooking, and maybe even a lil dating. Oh, and travelling. I'm going to spend this Memorial Day weekend with friends exploring The South! We're staying with my wonderful family in North Carolina! Oh yes, East Coast, that's right: I think outside the Duck.

Ahem.


Honey Whole Wheat Bread
3 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/3 cup honey
5 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
3 1/2 cups white flour
2 tablespoons MORE butter, melted

1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups wheat bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
2. Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 3 cups white flour. Flour a flat surface and knead until not sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. (I rolled in a ton of flour during this process... don't ask me if that's normal or not. I'm not a cook. I just know it was sticking to my counter like no other, and that my roommate said kneading was important to get it to rise, and I definitely wanted fluffy bread!) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place (like on top of your pre-heated oven!) until doubled.
3. Punch down, and divide into 3 little loaves or two big ones. Place in greased bread pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch. Once risen, sprinkle with oats for decoration (ok, that's not in the recipe... but I had to do that. More aesthetically pleasing that way.)
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Cool completely... or serve hot like me. Fresh bread's the bestest!

.................................................................

My bread has fed me for two weeks now! I'm practically Michelle Obama! (Well, with bread, not home-grown veggies).

Since I am fully divesting myself of my inner girl on this post, I guess I'll show you my current secret music video obsession. I know everyone else probably says this, but she's totally ME in high school! Glasses, disdain for excessive hair straightening, love of studying and hoodies, dancing in her room like an idiot, crushes on dreamy men...... Holy crap, I haven't changed much. DON'T JUDGE ME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTaPVlyEQc8

and did anyone else happen to notice this on Google? This isn't QUITE art, so I think I can get away with it:


First person to name this work gets a prize! I just talked about it... Happy birthday, Mary Cassatt! And kudos, Google, for having a little bit of culture! (And for running the world and being the best email provider EVER! love you!) Ok I think that does it for now. Lindsey's inner girly girl, signing out.

8 comments:

maggie said...

Mary Cassatt, The Bath, 1893!

Boo-yah

Have fun not at Duck! I'll be here in DC!

rachel said...

ha! you putting up a bread recipe! People give me a hard time about my blog, because they say they have no idea what I am doing...work is boring to talk about and why would i want to talk about how I am still getting my bachelor's degree.

rachel said...

whoa! I wish there was a hot neighbor who watched me from window.....actually the boy neigbors used to watch me do gymnastics in the backyard, but it's not the same as this video.

marie (wee) said...

YNNI! THAT is TOTALLY my FAVORITE music video, i am SO glad you discovered it as well! (maybe i told you about it, did i?) anyway--- mmmm, i love it. its the first and only music video i have actually bought on itunes. had to have it! me and katie have probably watched it like 50 times now. :)
yeah i think every girl can connect themselves SOMEHOW to that music video whether that's them or that's what they dream about being. i know, the glasses are so you.

Jayci said...

aww.. I missed that on google!! too bad. Thanks for getting a little snap of it. :D That bread recipe sounds yummy!!

MOM said...

Hi Molly...I mean Lindsey. Well, seeing that you can now knead and bake yummy wheat bread, this gives us parents great hope, for most of us send out our youngins into the big wide world having not taught them everything...or as I like to say, "not fully baked yet". But now we know, as witnessed by you my dear, that as long as your kid is smart,they can learn everything else on their own! Yeah!!

Colby and Katie said...

:) love this. you crack me up. And now that I am trying to be a good "wifey" i may just have to try this bread recipe.

Judy Anne said...

Grandma Zona would be so very proud! You are an amazing woman.