Saturday, November 30, 2013

Nietzsche snippets that correspond to Thanksgiving photos

While home in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving I found a treasure from my college years that I thought I'd lost forever: a creative inspiration notebook I'd kept from 2004 to 2008. In it, I jotted down poems, phrases, and lyrics, I pasted photos... really I collected anything that inspired me. It was my pre-blog blog. During my last five years in DC I've thought of it often and mourned its disappearance. How gleeful I was to come back to my old bedroom in my parents' house, newly cleaned by my mom, and see it on a shelf, good as new!

Perusing it while waiting for my red-eye flight to finish last night, I was especially struck by a page devoted to Friedrich Nietzsche. I remembered HE was the author of one of my favorite quotes:

"What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences other than we do?"

That has been the surprising discovery I have made during the last year with Monsieur Boyfriend. He certainly does understand differently than I do at times! But I have been delighted to find that real love is so much more interesting, challenging, and exciting than any of the dream scenarios with Monsieur Perfect I've had in my head for the last two decades. We're still taking things slow, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at building a good relationship, but it's so fun.

A few more gems from Sir Nietzsche (for some reason, they resonate fantastically during this Thanksgiving season), and a few corresponding Thanksgiving iPhone gems:

"The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time."


So basically, if we forget all the stunts we saw in the Zarkana Cirque du Soleil show, we must see it again!

"Sleeping is no mean art; for its sake, one must stay awake all day."


Or sometimes, you give in to sleep an hour after you finished scarfing down your Thanksgiving feast.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."


Marie and I DID make Russell participate in the traditional nose-waxing stunt special to the Christensen household.

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."


I have lots of whys!

Why brothers!

Why hot dogs!

Why Bellagio!

More pics to come, see facebook...

1 comment:

MOM said...

Ahhhh! Where've I been?? I've missed the last 3 posts! This was really fun. You are the complete package sis. :) And I like your "whys"...but I have to give credit to your Dad. He did the cleaning of your room to help you find your gem of a notebook long lost. :)