Monday, January 21, 2013

Nerd Rap Sheet

My friend B is a magnificent girl. Today she confessed her ubernerd origins to me: in high school she was the type who could carry on an entire conversation in Elvish and always threatened to don a cloak to school. I smiled at her after this revelation and admitted dryly, "I went through a phase where I collected Noah's ark figurines. I have to have at least twelve or so stashed in a closet at my parents' house."




    

=  Friend MFEO's, am I right??

Tonight I wanted to let all the inner nerds out there have a communal moment in the sun. Here is a recap of my more special adolescent fancies, so that some of you can feel not-so-nerdy and some of you who think you're too cool for school can feel even MORE cool than ever (though I bet you know more about the Kardashians than B or I ever will- LAME.):

My American girl doll (Samantha) occupied a prominent place in my room til probably... ninth grade.

I played the flute in middle school. I think I only made it as high as 3rd chair.

I never went to detention once in my entire 13 years of public school.

During a cross-country road trip with my cousins I prepared and presented an oral report on Adam-Ondi-Ahman. They threatened to maroon me.

For several tween years my favorite movie was The Net with Sandra Bullock, and I cherished the dream of being a computer hacker who spent her days chatting with friends whom she knew only by their edgy screen names and avatars.

Thanks to the brothers, I am fully versed in the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings universes. I held my own in a group of boys last night who were discussing lore, out-factoiding and out-quoting them all! Owning it.

And, the nerdishness continues into the present day. For example,

I have a blog.

I have a Master's degree in Art History.

The end.

2 comments:

MOM said...

BOOM! You da bomb! :)

Amanda said...

We should probably get our Samanthas together for a playdate... they haven't seen the light of day for ages :)

LOVE your nerdiness (meaning I love it and so should you)