Thursday, October 28, 2010

Two videos that pretty much sum up my DC cultural milieu.

Video the First.

Voici the performance piece Milk and Honey, which I saw performed at the opening reception of the GWU student-curated, student-created Verbal Input/Visual Output show (Go curators Caranine, Susan, and the art students Evan Hume and Blair Bainbridge!!).

Just as background, each of the BFA and MFA students were given copies of a poem and asked to create artworks of whatever images came to mind. The show demonstrates how one set of words can go into people's minds the same and emerge as TOTALLY different visual images and symbols... and, in the case of this performance piece... groceries!


video

Yes, that IS Mariah Carey's Honey playing in the background. :) The poem the artists were all given is part of Percy Bysshe Shelley's 1820 poem "Love's Philosophy." Haha, I just realized that by giving it to you now, I'm doing what the curators did, backwards-- I gave you a visual, now I'm asking you to see if you can fit it into the scope of the following beautiful verses:


The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the Ocean,
The winds of Heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle.
Why not I with thine?

Sigh. It's lovely. As is the rest of the show. What visual images come to your mind when you read that? I still have landscapes on the brain from last semester, I saw winds playing with each other (they're visible cuz  autumn leaves and trash are floating in them) and then everything gets gusted out to sea.

Here are some photos of what the other artists envisioned in connection to those words (most of these pics belong to my friend Caranine, the proud curator and talented photographer- I couldn't figure out how to link to the whole exhibition album online, so you just get my favorites).









Hehe. I'll tell you my interpretation on this last one, I didn't get it for a while: Sweet emotion, nothing is single. Hence, two matching ice cream sundaes! Like.


Video the Second.

Warning: This is a slightly more, uh, banal video. Right after I witnessed Milk and Honey being performed (by the way, you only saw the very tail end of it- the duo emptied out SEVEN honey and milk bottles, it was quite mesmerizing), my friend Ashley and I tromped on over to DuPont Circle, where the 24th Annual High Heel Race took place at 9 pm. It was a, uh, Halloween drag race. As in, those are not women sprinting down 17th Ave in heels. I snagged a primo spot in the crowds right by the finishing line (the fellas sprint for three blocks in them heels!) Keep a look out in the video for Marge Simpson, Liza Minelli, Alice in Wonderland and "Michelle Rhee."

video

Welcome to Washington.

1 comment:

CS said...

aw! thanks for the shout out- glad you liked the show. it was great to have you there!!! and it's extra fun to read your comments on it, especially giving your readers the image first, then the words... makes me think about it, too! you made some connections hadn't thought of!