Monday, January 12, 2009

Week One- All By Her Lonesome

Ok, I can’t believe I’m finally doing this. I’m blogging. I swore I never would…. Or at least that I wouldn’t until I was married and we could make that cute little “Lindseyand_______.blogspot.com” blog. My goodness I hate even the sound of the word blog.

Other offensive-sounding words include Munch and Mingle (that’s the name of the forced socializing event I will attend next week in my new ward, with a smile on my face!), and Meade and Glebe. They are the (actually quite quaint) nearest cross streets, here in the cozy new little land of Arlington, VA.

That’s right, folks. I’m here! Lindsey has succumbed to pressure and started a (shudder) blog so that you can keep track of my adventures.

Thus far the vast majority of my adventures go under the “All By Her Lonesome” category. Not that that’s the worst thing in the world. I arrived in DC late last Tuesday night, and spent Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday getting to know the metro system (-slash-getting lost) and walking around the Mall. Oh the Mall. How I love it already. My favorite part of every day has been that minute or so when my subway car pops out of the earth of Virginia and travels along a bridge over the river and I can look out and see the Jefferson Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and even though I can’t see them, I can envision the barely-hidden-from-view White House, Capitol, Reflecting Pool, and the two best buildings in the world: The Hirshhorn Museum and The National Gallery. They’re all speedily approaching me, nestled in the heart of Washington, DC. I am an unpaid intern in the center of American politics and culture, and it is that fact alone that keeps me so delighted to be here.

You see, I left the world’s greatest people behind in Provo and Vegas, and so DC kind of has its work cut out for it in the friends area. I’m sure when I give it time it’ll grow on me, though. Pray for me, k? I anticipate both a lot of work and hopefully some kind of reward in the social and also the missionary aspects of my life here. Great opportunities, I’ve noticed, to let people know they are children of a loving Heavenly Father. I almost shouted it on the subway the other night, I was just so happy to see such an amazing melting pot of people, something I really missed in Provo. “I feel my Savior’s love/in all the world around me!”

Back to the work part. Today was my first day of work. I LOVE my boss. I knew I would. Milena Kalinovska, the Director of Public Programs at the Hirshhorn Museum, is a sweet, heavily-Slavic accented GENIUS. And so kind. And so involved in the arts scene. I feel very much like I am here solely for the purpose of getting a splendid, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work at the Smithsonian Institution. I’m privileged to be working at its contemporary and modern art hub.

Uncle David I know wanted to be able to read about my experiences in the art world, well I’ll close with my first one. I’ll be honest, I was a little mad when I first visited the Hirshhorn last Thursday. I told my mom I felt… blind as I looked at a lot of obtuse, inaccessible art. I adore the magical pull of many other kinds of art, and I was disappointed to only feel small, occasional blips of interest as I went through my first time. Then, I saw him.



Untitled (Big Man)

Yeah, baby. Isn’t he UGLY???????????????? He stands about 8 feet tall, and he is the most REALISTIC piece of art I have EVER seen. I literally just stood there, kind of wavering back and forth, because I seriously felt like he was going to come alive and hoist himself up out of his corner and sit on me with his fat naked butt. I’m not kidding, it was a scary viewing experience. The thing has bulging veins, I’m pretty sure he has stubble, and he even has weird rough scaly dimples on his elbows, which were my favorite part.

The disappointing sculptures I had encountered upstairs were largely abstract shapes, and I had been overwhelmed with the worry, “What if all the art I study is this BORING?” Big Man was the ginormous, even hilarious, answer that this will not be the case.

1 comment:

DFB said...

Those feet and toes, wow. The whole thing is pretty amazing.

Hey, look at me, I'm posting to a blog. Your first time blog, my first time blog comment.

I've enjoyed all your postings...keep it up. Thanks for letting us share your experience.

Uncle David