Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the turn. oh help.

FACT: I turn 25 in 20 days.







<- Normally I look like this on my birthdays. This is not a stance I adopted in a huff after graduating BYU unmarried, no. I can actually remember during the Young Women's entrance interview at age 12 looking up at my bishop with tears in my eyes and anguish filling my little voice as I whispered, "I don't want to grow up." My poor terrified tween soul. Like Peter Pan, I have never, ever heard a convincing argument for the act of growing up. It's just never appealed to me. Two months ago, I won't lie, tears filled my eyes again the first time I said the words "I'm almost 25" to my dad (the "5" part kind of died in my throat, that's how hard it was to say). But I've had a lot of time to contemplate life recently, couch surfing as I have been for one entire month now.

I have three things to say.

To my year 24: You were full of surprises, thank you so much. From day one, when best friend Jessica-Brothers-newly-Clayton sprinted through the SLC airport at 6 am to hug me at my gate, to the sunshine-soaked stint as a lifeguard in the woods, to the unforgettable night I was played Thrice's The Weight, you drove me to my knees, answered my prayers, and made me smile in ways I did not expect. I've gone on the very most and the very least romantic dates of my entire 9-year dating career this year. I've experienced record-setting snowpocalypses (two of them!). I'll not soon forget the triumph of that day-after-finals email from my professor a month ago, congratulating me on a successful final paper argument and admitting that he did not think I could pull off, given my sub-par midterm presentation. (BOOYAH.) I really appreciate the new friendship that was born on the upper deck of an Outer Banks mansion a few weeks ago, as HH and I discussed life and watched the moon rise. Kindred spirits are sprinkled out across every phase of life I think. Hallelujah!

To the next three weeks: Not much you can dish out can beat this weekend's awesomeness. You've got your work cut out for you. But I still believe you will be as great as the rest of 24.



Adam the lion defends us at the Law Officers Memorial Wall



We instigate a new yoga program in the middle of the Natural History Museum (Seen here: Downward dog and "The Splay-legged Giraffe")



God handed me a belt on the Mall, because I needed it. Here's to looking at life through Pollyanna eyes!



To year 25: you're a nice, well-rounded, silvery number. Bring it.

2 comments:

MOM said...

So, you really found a belt on the mall and wore it cuz your pants were falling down doing all your stretching like a dog and a giraffe? hahaha!

I guess you and I have big numbers to face in this year's birthdays, and both have f-f-fives in them. I think your silver looks better than my gold though. Lucky. I'll try and adopt your "bring it" attitude. :)

I'm glad you had fun with Jessica and Adam. Sweetness.

Judy Anne said...

Happy Birthday my sweet Lindsey. I sure do love you.